It is with great sadness that we tell you of our divorce. We know that this will come as a shock to most of you, and gave a lot of thought to how we would make this public. We felt that it would be fitting to use this blog -- the means for informing you all of deployments, moves, births, celebrations, joys and sadness over the past five years -- to inform you of the end of the Hanners family as we know it.
You will no doubt wonder why we have chosen this path. During the course of our marriage, Morgan has struggled and come to terms with something about himself. Since he was quite young, he knew he was gay. He chose to pursue a heterosexual lifestyle thinking he could, in time, change how he felt. Unfortunately, after 27 years, he could no longer prevent this part of himself from coming to the surface; he was becoming more withdrawn and progressively more angry and frustrated with his unchanging nature. If you would like to know more, you are welcome to ask him. He is happy to answer any questions you may have. The whole story is far more complicated and perhaps not possible to be expressed here.
The past two years in Morocco were almost unbearable. Because of the delicate nature of our situation, and to protect our children, we chose to keep our struggles strictly between us. For this reason, I have withdrawn from close friendships because it was too painful to pretend with those I felt closest to. I know that I am ultimately the one to suffer because of that choice, but I hope that you can understand and forgive me. I will need you all more than ever now.
The information that has been public knowledge is true: The kids and I have moved to Washington, Utah, where I will be doing my student teaching in preparation for my career as an elementary school teacher. Now you surely understand why I chose to get my Masters degree right now while my children are still at home, and why it is so important that I find a job as soon as possible.
Morgan is still in Morocco, and expects a transfer to his next overseas assignment in the coming months. He is choosing to stay overseas where his housing is provided so that he can provide us with more money while I am getting settled into my new life. I hope to make it possible for him to return to the U.S. as soon as possible so that the kids can see their dad more often.
Please know that we still love each other very much. I ache for Morgan--that he is going through this and that he has struggled with this in silence for so long. My two-year stint “in the closet” while we couldn’t be open with the world about our situation has taught me that it is not easy for him.
My heart is broken over losing my husband. His heart is broken over being separated from his family. We can use all of your support and love, and hope that you can show it without saying anything negative. (It is not helpful to me to hear “I always thought he was gay.”).
We told the kids about the divorce shortly before we moved to Utah. It was a tearful, emotional experience -- one that I hoped to never have with my children. But children are resilient, and they are adjusting to life with a single mom and a geographically distant dad, and are finding joy in their family living near. They are processing the situation, and some days are better than others. I am grateful for the family and friends who are helping me to help them through this difficult time.
This will be the last post to The Hanners Family Times. Our family, as represented in the posts over the years, no longer exists. What remains is the love and respect we feel for each other, and a supportive, untraditional family.
24 comments:
Melodie,My heart goes out to both of you! What a struggle to face. I was engage (in Spokane, Wa) to a guy that was trying to overcome that trial and I talked to a guy in SLC Evergreen that told me if I had the choice, not to marry knowing this, so I walked away from a guy I really cared for this issue too. I could have been in your shoes. I know of several friends who also went through this (one is now remarried to a German in the KL branch)--her ex was another missionary on her mission. What heart ache she went through. My husband's fav missionary companion struggles with it and went inactive. I love him dearly too. I know it will be so hard, but what had to be done, had to be done. I am glad both of you could part honorable and rise above the hurt to be there for the kids. If you ever want to call we moved to Wilmington, NC. Sending a hug to you and Morgan. We don't judge one bit.
Oh Mel, we love you both very much. I am so sorry that you both have had to struggle with this alone. We are here for you and will be praying for you all to have peace. Bless Morgan! Please tell him we love him.
Thinking of you all! Hang in there. Love you much and if you ever need to talk, I'm here!
Your post brought me to tears, my brave, wonderful friend. So much love to all six of you. You are such a blessing to us.
I love you and am here if you ever need anything! You are in my prayers-and always will be. You are the strongest, most wonderful person I know and I am SO proud of you!
Much love for you and your entire family, Mel....
We love you both... I'll message you soon, Melodie. Love you - Aunt Dawn
My heart is broken for you and your family. You are in my prayers.
Melodie,
I'm so sorry to hear about this struggle you are all going through. My heart breaks for your family.
Much love to you, Morgan and your children. Divorce it hard not matter the circumstances. I have felt the isolation from friends and family - not being able to share what was going on in my home. I encourage you to build a strong support network around you as you build your new life- it will make it better for you and your children as they are adjusting and have limited time with their dad. May you all find peace!
Mel, I know we have not talked in a long time but I do feel for you and your family. Please know we are thinking of you all as you go through this change. Pls tell Braden that Ryan says HI!
Krystal Pecht and family.
Melodie,
My heart goes out to you and your beautiful children. I can't possibly imagine what you are going through right now, but know that I love you more than I can say. I hope to see you soon now that we're only 2 hours away from each other.
Melodie,
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know your family, and know you are beautiful people in a tough situation. I'm thinking of you and your children as you all adjust to the loss of your typical family. What a tough thing...it sounds like you've had some judgement already about going to work. It also sounds like you have a loving support, too...so hang in there. Miss you!
We will keep you and your family in our prayers. I'm sorry that you, Morgan and family are going through such a trial.
I miss living close to you, I wish I could hug you. We've gone through this before with friends, and I'm so sorry for your loss. You both are wonderful, smart, funny, loving, amazing people. If there is anything we can do, please let me know. Ty still talks about Liam, nearly daily.
Hugs and lots of love,
Livy
Oh Melodie,
I am so sorry. You will be in my prayers. Wish there was something that I could do.
Love you!!
Melodie,
My heart is so sad for you as i read your blog. Sending good prayers your way. Your a wonderful, strong mother and i wish you the best. Please if you ever need to vent i'm here to listen.
I am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. I am heartbroken for all of you. I know that I can't physically do anything to support you from here but I am ALWAYS here if you need someone to talk to. Your family will always be one of the ones I remember fondly from our time here in Germany. Much love to you, Mo and the kids.
Melodie,
I'm so sorry that your family has to go through this. My heart goes out to you and your kids during this time. Let Jen and me know if there is anything we can do.
Brandon
I am so sorry to hear this. It is not an easy thing to go through. Having gone through a divorce myself. I will keep you guys in my prayers. If you need someone to talk to I am here. Keep your faith strong it is one thing that will help hold you together when you feel like everything is falling apart. The gospel can bring peace where other things can not.
You are an amazing person and an amazing mom! I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.
Dragii mei,
Imi pare rau sa aud ce se intampla si vreau sa stii ca va iubesc la fel de mult pe amandoi. Morgan l-a botezat pe Paul si va fi mereu cineva special in viata noastra. Tu ai fost mereu o prietena minunata si te iubesc foarte mult. Scrie-mi daca ai nevoie de ceva--chiar si numai sa vorbim. Casa mea in Houston e deschisa pentru familia ta daca vreodata vreti sa ma vizitati. Va iubesc,
Gabi Frunza
melodie, what a beautiful and heart-wrenching post. please know that we love you all and are thinking of you and praying for you in this difficult transition.
deborah hirschi and family
Post a Comment